Freeze Dry & Dehydration Process
Wise Company takes a unique and innovative approach to food production for camping and long-term emergency preparedness. Our ready-made entrées, meats, vegetables and fruits may be freeze-dried or dehydrated.
The key is the type of food. Some foods are better when freeze dried and others better when dehydrated. Through extensive evaluation, research and testing, we utilize freeze dry or dehydrate products based on what best ensures optimal taste, texture and nutritional value. Expensive ingredients such as fruits and vegetables taste better when freeze dried. Other ingredients like noodles and rice actually taste better when dehydrated. However, both processes promote an extremely long shelf life.
Freeze-Dry and Dehydration Advantages:
- The food maintains its original flavor, shape, color, and texture
- It better retains its nutritional value
- The food is condensed, taking up less space
- With all of its water extracted it is extremely light weight
- When water is added, the food completely reconstitutes itself
- Wise Company customers enjoy greater peace of mind because
of the food’s long shelf life and great taste
The Freeze-Dry Process
When being freeze dried, a product is first flash frozen and then placed in a vacuum drying chamber. This process removes the majority of the water and moistening without affecting taste, color, form or nutritional value.
The Dehydration Process
When being dehydrated, food is moved through a drying chamber where air removes the moisture from the food. This occurs at low temperatures so that the nutritional profile stays intact.